Adding sourdough starter with egg yolk batter
Chocolate Chiffon Cake_with natural yeast天然酵母_巧克力戚风蛋糕*makes a 8” or 7” tube chiffon pan3 egg yolks (A size)15g caster sugar40g vegetable oil ( I use corn oil)140g Natural yeast from sourdough starter (culture with all-purpose flour) 100% hydration15g cocoa powder
3 egg white (A size)60g caster sugar1/2tsp lemon juices or ¼ tsp cream of tartarMethod
- Bring out sourdough starter from the fridge, let it return to room temperature (don’t need to wait to rise double).
- Immediately separate cold eggs after taken them out from the refrigerator (cold eggs separate more easily) into two mixing bowls (No oil and no water in these bowls, clean and dry bowls). Set aside and allow them return to room temperature.
- Add sugar into egg yolks, immediately lightly whisk the egg yolks and sugar till light.
- Add in corn oil, mix well. Then add sourdough starter and cocoa powder, stir well to combine.
- Add lemon juices with egg whites, then beat till foamy , gradually add in sugar in there batches and continue beat until soft peak formed.
- Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well and lighten the egg yolk batter (Do not worry you will deflate the batter at this stage ).
- Now change hand whisk to a silicone spatula, fold in 1/3 of meringue, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
- Pour cake batter into chiffon pan, wipe off those excess batter stick on the tube or insert area. Fill batter about 80% full but not fill too full as cake has no space to rise while baking and resulted cake shrinkage. Tap pan on the counter top to remove air trapped inside the batter.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 175C for 40mins or until cooked. Please adjust temperature and timing according to your oven, every oven is different.
- Once baked, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.
- Chiffon cake is ready to unmould. You can use a plastic thin spatula to run the pan and unmould the chiffon or you can unmould using bare hands method if you have mastered this skill.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover