If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, December 12, 2014

Plain Bagel 原味貝果

Sandwich is the most common breakfast during our trip to Chicago and New York. Their sandwich usually use baguette, English muffin or bagels and stuffed with ham, egg, cheese and etc. This is not the first time I made bagel, the first bagel I made was added with potato. This time I tried a new recipe and just made plain type of bagel.

 
The first time I made use 85g of dough, it was kind of small size. The second time I double it up, it become too large. So I gave you 3 sizes in the recipe for your to choose if you wish to try this recipe. That one we ate at New York was even larger size than that one I made ^_^


 
Slice them to half, then toast it, stuff with salad, ham, egg and cheese, perfect breakfast!



Plain Bagel 原味貝果 

For the dough
400g High protein flour (I use unbleached high protein flour)
100g Cake flour
1/4tsp + 1/2tsp instant yeast
1/2tsp salt
30g caster sugar
300g fresh milk
20g unsalted butter 

For the syrup
1 litre water
2tbsp light brown sugar
1tbsp honey 

Topping- sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or herbs and etc 

Method

  1. Mix all dough ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl, combine and knead till smooth dough. Add in butter, continue to knead till dough is elastic and smooth. Set aside to rise to double about an hour.
  2. Divide the dough (small-85g, medium-130g, large-150g) and shape to round, rest for 20mins.
  3. Roll each piece of dough into a long sausage shape. Join the ends to form a circle. Repeat with the remaining dough, and let the bagels rest for 30 minutes.
  4. Bring water, sugar and honey to boil. Boil the bagel one by one, less than a min each side. Remove the bagels with a slotted spoon and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle topping if desired.
  5. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 220C for about 15mins or until golden brown.
  6. To serve as sandwich, slice them into half, toast them, top with salad green, ham, egg & etc.

Recipe source: adapted from Carol with minor changes, how to shape bagel , refer here

11 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Nothing beats homemade bread! These bagels are perfect, Sonia.

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

好久不见,好怀念这种朴实的面包。。。

Baby Sumo said...

Wow your bagel looks really good. Been a long time since I had one.

Mel said...

You have done good on these bagels.

Therina Jopri said...

I love huge bagels that we kinda make sandwich with it. cheese, salad, dressing and chicken slices.. oh yum

Victoria Bakes said...

bagel is one of my all time favourites., plain or flavoured, i love the texture and chewiness... yours look amazing

My Little Space said...

Haven't had this for ages ! Miss them.
Kristy

Shu Han said...

Sorry just scrolled down and saw this one too! Wow you've really picked up a lot of inspiration on this trip eh. Yum!

Ana Regalado said...

Those are pretty bagels , Sonia ! I want to try Peter Reinhart's bagel recipe sometime , hopefully , I can have a nice shapes as well :D

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia,

Pretty bagels! just bump into your blog.

I'm sharing mine too on this post http://crocodillenest.blogspot.com/2014/10/tbre-bagels.html

Anonymous said...

i love new york style bagel is my favorite. thanks for sharing.

Bagel Shops New York

Blog Widget by LinkWithin