If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, October 17, 2014

Marble Pumpkin Talam / Kuih 大理石南瓜糕

When I first tasted this pumpkin kuih, it reminds me of the corn talam or kuih that I used to eat when I was young. This talam or kuih is best to serve while cold, very refreshing indeed!


 
Quite easy to make actually, simple cook two type of batter till thick


then mix two batters and swirl to make marble effect..do not over work on this otherwise you can't get marble effect.

 


Marble Pumpkin Talam / Kuih 大理石南瓜糕
*makes a 7” round cake 

 To make pumpkin layer
 450ml water
 50g Hoen kwe flour or green bean flour
 150g mashed pumpkin
 100g caster sugar 


 To make coconut layer
 175ml coconut milk
 135ml water
 25g Hoen kwe flour or green bean flour
 40g caster sugar
 ½ tsp fine salt
 4 pandan leaves (screwpine leaves), knotted 

Method

1.     To make pumpkin layer. Combine all pumpkin ingredients (A) into a sauce pan and simmer over medium low till the mixture became thick. Stir from time to time as not to burnt the bottom.
2.     Transfer pumpkin mixture into the prepared tray, set aside.
3.     To make coconut layer. Combine coconut ingredients into a sauce pan and simmer over medium low heat till the mixture became thick. Stir from time to time as not to burnt the bottom.
4.     Remove the pandan leaves then transfer the coconut mixture to the pumpkin mixture, stir the mixture to make the swirl effect. Do not over stir otherwise you will not get marble effect.
5.     Steam the mixture for 30mins over medium low heat. Don’t worry if you see the kuih still runny.
6.     Cool the kuih completely and store in the fridge before slice it. 

Recipe adapted from My Little Space, with minor changes

This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary)


16 comments:

PH said...

Very nice kueh. I like the marbling effect!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Yummy

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, I just love simple and easy recipes yet the product must be good. This one is one of them which I will try. Love it more serve chilled.

Amie said...

Cantiknya talam labu... resepi simple tapi look yummy!

Victoria Bakes said...

very pretty. i love the "shy" marbling effect

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

一点点小变化,就有不一样的效果,真的很好看,喜欢喜欢。

nandoos kitchen said...

yumm.. I simply love all your dishes. Just fab..

Mel said...

memang cantik kuih ini! and you're right...great to serve chill as it taste real refreshing indeed.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia, my mind has set that talam kuih must have 2 obvious layers & looking at your creation has broaden my view, haha! They looked nice!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个有吸引到我呢,饿了

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Sonia, your marble pumpkin talam is very pretty. Like the natural marble effect. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

ann low said...

Very creative and pretty!

Venicemay said...

Hi Sonia. May here. We met each other the other day at jusco klang :) I have a question here..can I replace pumpkin with sweet potato instead? Thank you!

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

小小变化,却带出意外惊喜,好看呢!

Copycake kitchen said...

Wow! Marble kuih talam so nice! I'll make this for me hubby next time! ;)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

May,Hi there ^_^. I think should be no problem to replace with sweet potato but not sure the texture will it be the same.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin