Friday, July 15, 2011
Nasi Lemak bungkus, one more please!
Nowadays it is hard to find a good and simple nasi lemak (coconut rice with sambal chili) that wrapped with banana leaf, brown paper with wax is widely use instead. We actually prefer those very basic and simple nasi lemak that comes with coconut rice and simple sambal chili and wrap with banana leaf.
The other day, i gathered all ingredients and banana leaves, and pretend like nasi lemak seller, bungkus (pack) nasi lemak in advance as to let coconut rice to absorb the banana leaf's fragrant, then we enjoyed nasi lemak bungkus for dinner. My son Lucas ate 3 packs at one go, another Nasi Lemak Lover, hahaha !
When prepare nasi lemak bungkus at home, i can also pack according to my family's preference.
I put sambal chili on a small piece of banana leaf as my son Desmond can not take too spicy, no roasted peanuts and cucumber, and more eggs !
As for my son Lucas, he loves everything except roasted peanut, and more cucumbers please !
This is how to pack nasi lemak bungkus
Nasi Lemak Bungkus
(recipe souce: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
* makes about 15 packs
Nasi Lemak (coconut rice)
4cups rice (I mix Jasmine rice and local rice)
150ml coconut milk
5pcs pandan leaves (screwpine leaves)
1 and 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
3 slices ginger, shredded
1. Place washed rice, salt and knotted pandan leaves in an electric rice cooker.
2. Pour coconut milk, water, ginger and salt over the rice and leave to soak for 30mins (make it more fluffy).
3. Cook rice. Once “cooking” button auto switched to “keep warm” button. Then fluff the rice with a fork or chopsticks.
4. Leave it warm in the rice cooker before serve.
** you need to adjust water amount according to the type of rice you use.
Blend to chili paste
20g dried chili, cut into two, boiled in hot water for 5mins
1 big onions
3 cloves garlic
1tsp belacan (shrimp paste)
2 slices blue ginger or ginger
1 onion, sliced
30g tamarind paste, add 125ml water, remove seeds, to become tamarind water
30g ikan bilis (anchovies), deep fry and ground to fine powder
¾ tsp salt or taste
1 and 1/2tbsp sugar or taste
1. Heat oil in a wok, add in blend chili paste, stir fried over low medium heat till fragrant and oil separated, take about 20mins.
2. Add ikan bilis powder, tamarind water and water, keep stirring.
3. Season with salt and sugar, last add onion slices, cook to mix well for 1-2mins.
To assemble Nasi Lemak Bungkus
Banana leaves, washed and patted dry
Old news paper
Deep fried anchovies
1. Layer banana leaf on an old newspaper, the size of newspaper is slightly narrower and longer ( I did measured as the paper size 20x39cm, banana leaf size 23x23cm, this measurement is for your reference only)
2. Put hot coconut rice in the middle, sambal chili on top and accompaniments on the side.
3. Fold the top and bottom halves together in the middle. Flap the paper and banana leaf on the left and right.
4. Tuck the flaps underneath tightly.
5. Enjoy it an hour later as to let rice to absorb banana leaf's fragrant.
I'm touch by Quay Po's latest post -Mothers will do anything for their children. If you have a facebook account, please support Quay Po's son Nick’s band ROSEVELT is one of the top 5 bands competing to be the opening band for the famous rock band from USA, INCUBUS. In order to get there, they need votes from people who has a facebook account and SMS votes from TUNETALK’s subscribers. Please vote at http://apps.facebook.com/tt_incubus/index.php?tttg=8, voting close at 12 mid-night on 16th July 2011.